Monday, July 3, 2017

Where I briefly touch on our one year here in England, and then make you look at holiday pics from Bath.




After a few months of utter laziness, I'm back.  It's a good thing blogging isn't my bread and butter, cuz' I'd be scah-RUED!

Been doing way too much chillin'.  But with a view like this, can you really blame me?

It's been a good two months since The Man and I have marked our first year here in England.  Loads have happened, both in the U.S. and here in England, it's been tumultuous for a lot of people, to say the least.  These days, I just try to keep a cool head, appreciate everyday, and not let crappy things get the best of me.  I still act a fool though, from time to time.  Just ask my husband.  Anywhoo, I like living here, still hate the driving which I've only done 3 times so far.  I get terrible anxiety even thinking about getting behind the wheel.  The Man has grudgingly resign himself to the role of chauffeur for as long as we live here.  Since I'm not working, I try to spend my money only on necessities like lady!products, though I do get to stock up during our big on-post Commissary run once a month.  But for makeup or clothes, that comes out of my own damn wallet.  So whenever I'm tempted by anything I see, I quickly take stock of what I already own and 'talk myself down'.  So far, it's kept me from being flat-out broke.  The Man helps too, though sometimes I take offense to his efforts and snap at him with, "You're such a DUDE!".

Since it's been awhile since I've updated, I come bearing photos from our recent holiday in Bath.  Taking advantage of the four-day weekend, The Man and I decided to go out of town for a night, so I picked Bath, located in the county of Somerset.

The Roman Baths at Bath.

It took us four hours to drive from Bury to the tiny village of Woolverton, where we would be staying overnight.  It's a good twenty minute drive into the city of Bath from there, filled with beautiful rolling hills of green, the kind I've seen countless paintings of or read about in novels.  


We stayed at this eccentric little hotel called The House near Bath, or simply The House.  It's run by business partners Mike and Rowena (pretty sure they're not married to each other), both of whom were on hand to meet us and show us to our rooms.  They're super-friendly and love getting to know their guests.  The house itself use to be a rectory before it was converted into a hotel.  Though not the quietest place - it's located right there on the local road - it's surrounded by sprawling pastures and farmland, giving you a relaxing sense of disconnect.

The House near Bath.

'The Snug', our room at The House. 

I could go on and attempt at a brief history of Bath, the city being a World Heritage Site and all, but that would take forever and I have a short attention span.  What I can sum up is that Bath use to be a spa town back in the Georgian Era, where people would come and 'take in the waters' from its natural springs. 

"Water Is Best"

The dominant architecture in Bath is Georgian, which Wikipedia will happily explain to you, as I will only provide pictures.

Royal Crescent.

The Circus.

Great Putleney Street.  Totally digging the large sidewalks.  In the foreground is the Holbourne Museum.

We only had two days to pack in as much as we could see and visit.  That meant no dawdling in any of the high street shops.  The Hubs got all snappish when I popped into the local Holland and Barrett health store, but didn't seem to mind waiting around like all the other good lil' spouses when we went in Anthropologie.

Bath Abbey, which is right there beside the Roman Baths.  You can climb the stairs to the top of the Abbey for a great view.  


A side view of Bath Abbey taken from the Roman Baths.

Originally, we'd planned on seeing the famous Roman Baths the next day because our hostess Rowena told us that people sometimes queue for hours just to get in.  But when we finally wandered into that particular area around five in the early evening, there wasn't a queue.  We managed to get in before the attendant roped off the entrance.

I'm sure the upkeep was far more diligent back in the Roman times.

Inside the museum, you can see the water that feeds the baths flowing in from the springs.

Water flows to the Sacred Spring, which in turn feeds the Great Pool.

This part of England is my favorite so far, it just feels less congested, more green.  Definitely more green, with the rolling hills and countryside.  I felt there were loads more trees in the city and plenty more park space to enjoy.

The green in front of the Royal Crescent.

Totally forgot the name of this park.

Pulteney Bridge

We left Bath yesterday at around 2 pm.  We managed to make a stop in Bibury, a village in The Cotswolds famed for it postcard-picturesque cottages and greenery, but that's a whole 'nuther post.  I'm working on a routine to get myself updating semi-regularly; Me and The Man have been having adventures and I have the pictures to prove it!  

Until later, yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment