Monday, August 29, 2016

Weekend Leftovers: Bury St. Edmunds Food & Drink Festival





A week ago, The Hubs wanted to go to one of these things in another town, but balked at the idea of driving three hours just to get there.  Thank goodness he found out that there was going to be a similar event way closer to home, no driving involved.  

First day, and it was nice and cloudy out.  It did rain lightly here and there but never lasting more than 2-3 minutes.  

After a few minutes of wandering, The Hubs zeroed in on the sausage and cheese stall.

Two of my favorite things rolled into one pungent yet zesty block.

The beetroot definitely gives this cheese its vibrant Kool-Aid red color.

I wanted a slice of the lavender cheese so bad, but The Hubs was scared off by its not-found-in-nature hue.

The opportunity to be able to walk up and down the streets with an open alcoholic beverage in hand come very rarely for us.  I'm not a big drinker though, but helped myself every so often to The Hub's cup.


Notable British chefs on the main stage.  Being 'Muricans, we had no idea who they were.  And we were just hungry, so we didn't stick around,  


Well frickin' finally, the first signs of cake!

Not a fan of licorice, but I can't resist how colorful everything looked.

Definitely a step up from the usual Halloween buy-in-bulk licorice I know!  Cola is my favorite flavor.

We made our way to the end of the street, then made our way back up.  My mind was set on the stall selling paella, which I've only seen in one Spanish film, and in the anime Vandread.  The Hubs decided he wanted some too, so we go back to the stall only to find that they ran out of paella and it would take some time before a fresh batch would be ready.  Boo.  Very quickly moved on the my second choice, an Indian food stall with Chicken Tikki Marsala.  Yummmmm...spicy stew poured over rice...

Closer to the Abbey Gardens, we found more stalls.  Two of them had cake.  One of them was even called 'Proper Cakes'.  Unfortunately, by the time we had reached that area, we were already satisfying ourselves with ice cream cones.

I love the converted trailers!

Most of them sold the good stuff...like ice cream, fine cheeses.  And tacos.




So that was yesterday afternoon.  Fast-forward to today, and it is the last day..  I went back alone to rustle up some proper cake from the 'Proper Cake' stall.  I ended up browsing around a bit and came to this beekeeper's stall.  The thing I loved about this place was that there were actual bees lazily hovering over the man's wares.  I tried to get snap a photo of this really big fuzzy one but was too slow.  


 I don't know if I'll want to use them for any reason other than decorative.  Also, The Hubs hates the smell of honey.  He told me so after I made him smell the candles.  He's a special snowflake.


No comments:

Post a Comment