Thursday, July 21, 2016

Binge Fever: Stranger Things

This show has been out since last Friday, and WHAT have I been doing all this time?!
Oh yeah, watching old Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes on my laptop and stalking Youtube for any news on the  Rogue One:  A Star Wars Story trailer.  I really need to get back into the workforce.

Up until yesterday, we've been without a tv.  A few days before we packed up our apartment in back in the States, our old tv conked out on us and we had to toss it.  While casually shopping around for a new one, and I told The Hubs that I wanted a smallish sized tv that could be placed on the corner of the console, like an afterthought.  I didn't want our entire living room to be gathered around it like it would be the focal point of everything.  Also, I wanted the potential extra space on the console for a nice potted plant or more books.  But being a dude and a gamerfreak, The Hubs could not resist the lure of a good deal on an HD-tastic tv with a screen almost as wide as the surface of our dining table.  I got over my disappointment quickly when he told me how much he saved on it.

After a few setup hiccups and general waffling about with the remote, we finally got around to watching Netflix's newest original series, Stranger Things.  Holy crap, is this show a freakin' love letter to the early 80's scifi/horror movie genre.  And OMG, Winona freakin' Ryder is back, giving an over-the-top-but-rightly-so performance of a mother of a boy who goes missing.  The boy's friends go out looking for him, but end up stumbling upon a girl their age who is on the run from some shady secret government types.  Throw in a bit of Carl Sagan and some teenage angst, and there you go.  The teen angst is worth the trouble, seriously.  The only parts I had to skip forward through were the ones with the bright flashing lights, which are a serious NOPE for folks who have epilepsy.  I don't, but I suffer from the occasional flashy lights-induced migraine.

But you don't have to take my word for it!  Let the opening theme lure you in...

No comments:

Post a Comment