Sunday, May 22, 2016

Weekend Scramble: Ely, Cambridgeshire + a weekend doing a whole lotta nothing.




And if you're gonna do a whole lotta of nothing, you better justify all that sitting down time in front of laptop watching Youtube by going to the gym for at least 30 minutes. Yep.
I've discovered yesterday that I'm able to run on the treadmill for...eh, 3 solid minutes at the most without stopping. I blame the altitude of Colorado Springs for making me into more of an elliptical machine fanatic and less of a jogger, and now that The Hubs and I are back at sea level, I can slowly build myself back up to the level I was when we lived in Texas. Even The Hubs, who has always been an avid runner says it's easier to run longer. Now if it was only easier to drag my butt out of bed at 7 a.m. to go with him to the gym...
Oh, and a reason for a whole lotta of nothing is because our new car, a second-hand Lexus that The Hubs swears he loves is making funny noises and so as to prevent something worse from occurring before he takes it to the dealership for examination on Monday he's grounded it. So yeah, no sight-seeing for now.

We did get to drive out a couple of days ago to the city of Ely, one of the places we had considered while looking for potential homes. It's known for this beautiful cathedral.

This angle doesn't even begin to show how big it is.

Maybe this interior pic does?


After the initial awe of seeing the whole of the interior stretched out before us, I looked up and saw this beautiful image.


I blame John Bellairs's The Revenge of the Wizard's Ghost for my slight obsession with church ceilings and stone arches.


Also plentiful are effigies of figures notable in Ely Cathedral's history, like bishops, canons (is that the same?), nobles...






When I pass away, I want my headstone to portray me in the same Still-Have-No-F&%ks-To-Give manner.


We wandered to the Lady Chapel just in time to catch a performance from a visiting choir from Idaho. 'Muricans! And they had voices like angels. Murican angels.


Did I already mention my thing with vaulted ceilings and stuff? My mind wandered during the performance and I found myself studying the ceiling above.  


British school children on a field trip!





The Hubs studying the Bible scenes carved along the sides of the choir stalls. Kept asking me questions (he's a heathen).


The grounds are really green and sprawling too. I regret not taking enough pictures outside though; I just wanted to take it all in through my own eyes and not whip out my camera phone the minute I see something I like. I don't want to be that sort of person who only lives through their camera lense.


Meh. How did she get into the shot?


The Hubs spotted a dog over the wall, just chillax'in on the lawn, and called out to it for more than 5 minutes. "PUP-PY! PUP-PY!"
The dog just glared at him disdainfully.


In the end, The Hubs admitted that he was glad we went to Bury St. Edmunds first and found a house there as oppose to Ely, claiming that there's too many old people in Ely. I told him that there's old people everywhere, but I guess he implied that the population of Ely was mostly made up of retired people. Whatev. Also, it would have made for a longer commute on a really bumpy carriageway (road) that made us both kind motion sick driving on it.
Oh, and I passed the written U.K. driving test. I now have a permit to drive in Opposite Land. Freakin' roundabouts...

No comments:

Post a Comment