Friday, May 13, 2016

Finding our new digs and other adventures.




I wonder how Luna's doing...

Day 4 in The England Arc of this fantastic voyage, and I'm feeling less sick the last two days, but I think I've entered that icky phlegm stage. Bleh. But my voice sounds all sexy and gravelly.
Anywhoo, The Man and I can't actively start looking for a place to live or even buy a car until we've established a local bank account. We've agreed that Bury St. Edmunds is the way to go because - according to our driver on Day 1- it has more of everything than Newmarket and Ely. I was kind of hoping to live in Ely just because of how beautiful everyone says it is but The Man thinks it'll be convenient for us both to be within distance shops and things. And Newmarket is a racing hub, loads of horses on the road. No horse pucky for The Man; he's had enough of it at the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs.

I haven't worked out in 3 weeks! I had planned on slowly getting back into my routine by doing a bit of circuit yesterday; I made a board on Pinterest entitled "All the Help I Can Get" and it's full of exercises you can do without equipment and in the privacy of your home. I went to bed last night swearing that the first thing I'd do upon waking was pull on my workout wear and do two circuits of exercises. Didn't happen. Woke up around 9 am, The Man following at 10 am because he was up late playing some computer game. We had to be in Bury St. Edmunds to see an real estate agent about a place so we left half an hour later.

*Update*
I completed the first half of this entry this morning, before leaving with The Man for that business we had in Bury St. Edmunds. He had called the property office this morning about a place we had seen last night on rightmove.co.uk and they agreed to see us today. Bury St. Edmunds is only less than 30 minutes away from The Hub's office and is very picturesque. The house that the agent showed us is only 5 minutes walking distance from the Abbey of St. Edmunds and the town center. Very VERY important to me especially since we've recently become a one-car household and I want to be close to places like Superdrug or M&S. It's in the middle of everything, yet it's tucked away in a quiet neighborhood. It has -omg- a washer/dryer! Do you know how many places we've scoured around for online that don't have a washer/dryer? Too many. When the agent apologized for the house not having a dishwasher, The Man was like, "My wife prefers to handwash the dishes anyway." Which is a fact and not my husband making me into a subservient wifey stereotype. I've always done my dishes by hand, it's satisfying. I've chastised The Man many times for not doing them the way I think they should be done, even so far as to chase him out of the kitchen when I caught him doing them wrong. It's my thing.
Anywhoo, I know it's said that you shouldn't just immediately choose the first place you see, but that's what happened. I already love the neighborhood, I love the house and the backyard (no grass, which is just fine cuz' I want potted plants) and The Hubs is keen on the rent. The only problem is that according to the agent, the landlord doesn't want pets. But then, he went on to assure us that he would 'lean on' the landlord to get him to accept because apparently he's known the guy for years and is 95% sure that he can get him to change his mind, even though on the online listing it didn't say "No Pets Accepted". Hn.

So we found a place, yay! After getting the process started and doing all the necessary paperwork, we stayed in town and wandered around, starting first at the Abbey of St. Edmunds. And contrary to our first impression of England in general after we first arrived, it was such a nice day, loads of people out walking, families with their kids. I'm in love with the place.

"It's so M. R. James!" I gushed.
I also said that about every church and graveyard we passed while on the A1101.




The Man surveying his new land.




We had lunch at a pub the agent reccommended, called The One Bull. Has it's own brewery too, with the smoothest IPA I've ever sampled. And the sandwiches we had here hit the spot.


I really do hope the agent can charm the pants off the landlord into letting us rent that cute house with our cat, considering how time-consuming and soul-sucking it was to get her approved to travel with us! Hello, the 11 freakin' hours of driving to and from the USDA office in Albuquerque, New Mexico?! For a health certificate endorsement!

Now I'm just going to leave this cute pic of The Man sorting out his first ever UK parking pay machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment