Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Reading books and watching Boys.

Aunt Flo is a biatch, but she can afford me a very-much-appreciated extra day-off when she's being especially annoying and embarrassing. Oh well, I'm making up for it later on in the week.

All day yesterday, I did nothing useful around the apartment except vaccum and dust, paying special, loving attention to my bookshelf. And then dozed off while watching a load of anime on HuluPlus.


The Daily Live of High School Boys

Have watched two episodes so far, but only because it's 12 or 13 episodes long and I want to savor each one of them. Seriously hilarious, pokes fun at anime tropes, and the three main characters are the cutest teen dumbasses in a large cast of teen dumbasses.

Screencap courtesy of Google. Poking fun at the usual "Anime kid running late for school with toast hanging out of his mouth" trope with Tadakuni's -the middle kid - two pals running along with him, eating leftovers. The guy on the left (Hidenori) looks like he works at a Brazilian bbq place.

There's LARPING, ghost stories, and other shenanigans adolescent boys tend to get up to when idle. Anime adolescent boys, in this case. Oh, and there are girls in this show too.

Anywhoo, funniest shit ever, and yes, this is an actual still from the show. Don't ask.
Daily Lives of High School Boys_3


And now for something completely different...

I finished off Simon Van Booy's The Secret Lives of People In Love (beautifully written, though I found a handful of the stories really depressing) and have now moved onto Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson. I love the used copy that I bought online; an actual Persephone book from the UK, with its simple gray softcover and floral 'end-papers'.
Got rid of another book that has been sitting in The Stack since who-knows-how-long; Kate Morton's The Distant Hours. As much as I enjoyed Morton's other book, The Forgotten Garden, I don't think I can endure another 550+ pages of family drama and the constant back and forth from two different time periods and points of views. And when you can't seem to remember what compelled you to buy a book in the first place, then that's as good as sign as any that you should chuck it into the used book box.

Ever since I finishing M.R. James' Ghost Stories for an Antiquary and its follow-up, I've been having weird dreams. The only one I can still remember had Benedict Cumberbatch in it, and he and I were cosying it up in a hotel room. Unfortunately, we had to share said-hotel room with members of my family! And strangely enough, while it was dream!Cumberbatch in all his beauty, he felt and smelled more like The Hubs. Dunno if that was a good or bad thing.


Leaving you with one of the ending themes of The Daily Lives of High School Boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment