Tuesday, August 5, 2014

B-I-N-G-NO!

Ugh, the end of summer is near, and I still haven't gotten Bingo on my BOTN summer bingo card. So Fell the Sparrow wasn't published in 2014, apparently. Good ghost story, but the cliched romance novel-iness made me throw up a little in my mouth. I blame myself for not seeing it as one of them paranormal 'bodice-rippers'. Linda Gillard's House of Silence was a better read.

BOTNS Bingo_2014
I've been using the bingo card as a coaster. I've spilled many a hot beverage on it over the last two months.

Cloud Atlas still sits on the night table, untouched since July 6th. My original goal was to read a page or two every night, but ever since I finished Elizabeth Hand's Mortal Love, my reading interests have veered more towards what I've deemed historical fantasy.
Mortal Love
Don't let the title fool you; this is not a romance novel. The story revolves around a mysterious flame-hair woman whose unearthly beauty has the power to both inspire and enslave. The writing is lush and often times dizzingly hypnotic. I had a hard time putting it down, and when I wasn't reading it, I spent a lot of time thinking about the story. I love that my favorite artists of the Pre-Raphaelite Circle figure into the story, and it makes sense that there would be something otherworldly serving as muse to their creativity.

On the heels of Mortal Love, I picked up Tim Power's The Stress of Her Regard. While the other book jumped between the Victorian Era and the present-day, TSOHR takes place (and stays there) in Europe during the early 19th Century. A young doctor by the name of Michael Crawford wakes up after his wedding day to discover his new wife brutally murdered beside him, and everything goes to Hell from there. He knows he is innocent, but something has followed him since the night prior to his wedding, a vampiric creature that now considers itself Crawford's true bride.
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

The Stress of Her Regard

If you enjoy secret histories of famous historical figures of literature and art, here you go. You have the Romantic Poets of that era; Lord Byron, Percy Shelley, and John Keats, all of whom are -in their own way- too familiar with Crawford's dilemma.
Scary in a lot of places, with loads of historical facts interwoven with the supernatural, and characters that are deeply flawed and noble. TSOHR is a dark and dense read, with a lot of supernatural creatures to entice, if you let them. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

And now I'm reading something non-supernatural and mature (Simon Van Booy's Everything Beautiful Began After), and I can't help but feel like something's missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment