Thursday, June 5, 2014

June Reading

Two books finished so far for the month of June! Stephen King's On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, a part-memoir, part-instructional-but-not-really will have a permanent place on my shelf. It's everything I ever wanted in a book about fiction writing: his experiences are both entertaining and insightful. He talks at length about writing Carrie, which I loved a lot. The instructional part of the book is just as entertaining and no-nonsense; he taught English before his writing career took off, so without a doubt, you know he's legit. He talks about building a toolbox with grammar and vocab as common tools in the top tier, then style and form follows underneath, and so on. I recommend this book for anyone with fiction writing aspirations because Mr. King knows his stuff really well and doesn't b. s. about his craft. I especially love this bit of wisdom, "If you don't have the time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write.". Ah-ha. Read a lot, and be an observer.

I'm still debating on whether or not to throw The Perks of Being a Wallflower into the used book box. It was a good read, but I don't know if it's a keeper. I bought the book two years ago, right after seeing the movie, and since then it had been sitting in The Book Stack Mea Culpa.
Speaking of which, that dastardly stack is about to be joined by another stack of my own making. I found the HPB (Half-Priced Books) website, and dropped more than $50 on eight books. The most I've ever spent on used books. Yeah. I'm going to justify this purchase by saying that they had been on my Amazon wishlist for the longest time and I had recently swore that I was going to shop exclusively from my wishlist. Two of the eight books came in the mail yesterday; Jan Marsh's Pre-Raphaelite Sisterhood and Stephen Fry's The Ode Less Travelled: Unlocking the Poet Within. I felt a bit like Helene Hanff (84, Charing Cross Road) when she received in the mail her precious used books all the way from her favorite English bookshop.

I'm off today, so I'm going to vaccum and make space on the carpet for this new eyesore, right beside the one I have going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment