Monday, November 25, 2013

Austin Wizard World 2013 pt. 1

It's been a bit hectic around here, with the move to Colorado and all. So far the only stuff we've packed are our books and little things. I haven't gotten around to watching last night's The Walking Dead, but judging from the snippets I've seen of last week's episode, it seems like a certain baddie with an eyepatch is behaving...not so badly? What gives, peeps? Eh.

The Dude and I have been in Austin this past weekend for the Austin Wizard World Con, our last hurrah in the fun part of Texas before we leave. I only wish it had been all that I had wanted it to be; the weather hasn't been good to us lately, going from a comfortable 70 degrees to a dramatic low of 34. Will decided that because he felt it was too cold to party on 6th St. that Saturday night, we didn't have to spend the night in Austin, so he canceled the swishy hotel room I had booked two weeks before. I spent the entire Saturday furious at him and pulling this face whenever he did or said anything I deemed stupid and beneath me.

WW13_me
Attractive, yes? Way too early in the day to be this pissy. The line to pick up our wristbands wasn't helping my mood.WW13_line
Okay, it didn't seem that bad at the beginning because it looked single-filed and it moved really fast. The Dude kept making little jokes that I was determined not to respond to or laugh at.
And then confusion started to set in as soon as multiple queues for other things formed.

See Denim Ensemble here? This goober and his kid appeared out of nowhere in front of us in the line. We were originally behind two giggly teens dressed up as Robin and...some other superhero. I turned my back for a second and when I turned back I was suddenly was confronted with this light-washed denim nightmare. I fumed, and Will just brushed it off. I glowered at this guy's back the entire time we were in line.
WW13_DenimEnsemble
See that lovely bald spot on the right corner? That's him!
WW13_line2

Took us more than 45 minutes to get into the expo area. Soon enough, my phone was down to more than half its battery-power and I had to stow it away in favor of my digital camera. Our adventures for that day will continue in another entry, as soon as I get off my lazy ass and download the pictures. But I will leave you with the damage I had wrought upon my already bleeding wallet.

WW13_comics
Notable acquisitions: Magdelena Origins Vol. 2 (I couldn't find Vol. 1!) and Waston and Holmes, issues 4 and 5. I just discovered this brilliant take on our beloved Dynamic Detective Duo yesterday! How did this escape my radar?!

Now this is a modern-day adaptation I can seriously get behind. In this version, Jon Watson is a medical intern who served in Afghanistan and is a single father. Holmes (he isn't even called Sherlock in the comic and Jon doesn't even know his first name yet.) is still a private detective whose digs are at 221B Baker St. in Harlem. And yes, there's a Mrs. Hudson, and she runs a vintage book and vinyl store. Cool.
Watson and Holmes
Watson and Holmes2

C'mon, how can you not feel the amount of swag this partnership exudes?
Watson and Holmes3

Next entry, I'll have the pics from this year's cosplay contest! In the meantime...

WW13_tardis
I forgot my key.

No comments:

Post a Comment