Friday, June 21, 2013

"Radioactive! Radioactive!"

So here's the dilly-o: I have hyperthyroidism. I was diagnosed in early 2011. I was on medication for a year, then I wasn't.
I took radioactive iodine to effectively nuke my overactive thyroid gland so that it'll gradually stop functioning. No, it's not like radiation therapy. I ingest a small dose of radioactive iodine that goes directly to my thyroid gland. The rest is expelled through my bodily fluids like sweat, urine, and tears.

For the next three days, I'm like that Imagine Dragons song. I have to keep at least 3 ft. away from people and pets. I have to use separate linens, eating utensils and cups. Hugging The Hubs isn't forbidden, as long as it's brief. After showering I have to thoroughly clean the tub. Same goes with using the toilet, and I have to flush twice with the lid down. Ugh, that's going to be a Class-A biatch considering that I've been advised chug water constantly to flush out the radiation.

The Hubs has been really nice about the whole thing. He stood by and trolled the doctor as he was getting my dose ready, asking him questions like, "So, can we still go to the movies today?" and "Will close contact with her give me super powers?". 
No, and man, do you wish.

I'm not really stressing though. Come Sunday, and most of the excess radiation will be flushed out. I'll still have some in my body, but it'll be in my thyroid. I'm still doing fine, but I'm expecting to feel like shit tomorrow. In the meantime, I have plenty of episodes of Hetalia: The Beautiful World and Hidamari Sketch on HuluPlus to watch. And that damn book pile.  The one that I keep passing up in favor of watching Bob's Burgers and Mystery Science Theater 3000.

No comments:

Post a Comment