Monday, June 6, 2011

The Tree of Life


Saw this film with my in-laws, a few of their friends, and my younger sister and her boyfriend on Saturday, at the Embarcadero 1 Cinema.  We all met at a nearby restaurant a few hours before the 4:30 showing, and there was already a long-ass line for tickets.  My sister and I were smart enough to get ours online the day before so all we had to do was pick them up at the box office, then zoom off for lunch. 
For anyone mildly curious, The Tree of Life is very much more a work of art than anything else.  I can't really describe it in my own words, and when I try to, all I can come up with is, "Quietly intense, emotional without overture, surreal and moving.".  I was tearing up at the last half, especially towards the end.   

There was a bit of a "Eh?" moment for me during the first half of the movie.  During lunch, I had both an iced tea and a water, then a small Diet Coke (when my sister's in charge of buying snacks, we don't gots a choice).  At the start of the Big Bang scene, I ran off to the rest room, and when I came back, I wondered if I walked into the wrong movie.  *Dinosaurs???*
When I spoke to my sister Evita about it after wards, she looked at me with a Well, duh! expression and said, "The Tree of Life!  The beginning of the universe!".  I started to regret that trip to the toilet, because this is the kind of film you really need to sit through from beginning to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment