Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Health news

Soooooo...I might have Graves Disease.  For the longest time I've dealt with a wonky thyroid, I just didn't know what sort of wonkiness.  But after yesterday's visit with a new endocrinologist - the last time I saw an endocrinologist, he implied that I had hypothyroidism, not hyperthyroidism - where she explained how my thyroid works and what my levels were, I discovered that my situation wasn't too serious.  Radioactive iodine is just one of two options, thank goodness, because the novelty of the idea of being radioactive for a couple of days had quickly worn off. 
If I do indeed have Graves Disease, she suggested that I take antithyroid medication to bring my thyroid levels down first to determine whether or not I may even need the radioactive iodine (RAI).  RAI is a quick fix;  it destroys your thyroid.  You'd be on thyroid hormones for the rest of your life because your body can't make anymore, but it won't cause infertility or birth defects.
Oh, and just for the record, I don't have the 'bulging eyes' symptom that a good percentage of people with Graves Disease have.  I'm also not shaky. 
I see the endocrinologist again in two months time.  I still have to schedule the test with another lab where it could be proven for sure that I have Graves Disease and not some other autoimmune disorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment