Thursday, January 13, 2011

Reading for 2011: House of Leaves

This is not for you.


Just kidding.  But you do see where I'm going with this, right?  No?  Okay then.



I've just recently bought Mark Z. Danielewski's novel, House of LeavesI'm currently on page 100 exactly, and I'm already in a world of dread, and I refuse to read the book while I'm in my own home because like the big scaredy-pants I am when I'm by myself, I imagine waking up one morning or coming home from work one night and finding a doorway in my bedroom that didn't exist before.  So far, the only time I read that book is to and from work on the bus and on my lunch break.

I was feeling safe up until early last night when I had to close up the building.  It was almost five-thirty, but the sky outside is awfully dark by then.  The lab techs on the second floor had already taken off and were nice enough to lock all the doors before leaving.  I decided to do a follow-up check and found that the dudes had also turned off the narrow hallway's lights.  Because the switch is all the freakin' way at the end of the hallway, I decided to check the door locks of all the classrooms without flipping it on.  And the other lights near the stairs were still on, giving me some illumination as I walked through, twisting each doorknob to see if it was locked.  This didn't take more than a minute, but when I got to the end of the hallway and turned around, everything suddenly looked different, like the hallway seemed a little bit more...stretched out.  The near-dark didn't help things either.  The first thing that came to mind as I stared out was, *Oh shit, it's The Five and a Half Minute Hallway!!!*.
I nearly tripped over my own feet running down that hallway towards the brightly-lit safety of the stair well.

For anyone who hasn't read House of Leaves, I found a couple of vids on Youtube (made by uber-talented people who aren't me) that give you a vague idea of what the novel is about.




No comments:

Post a Comment